- 20c (4,438), political theory (3,314), united states (2,827), history (2,616), philosophy (2,349), europe (1,844), germany (1,512), 19c (1,262), 21c (1,095), britain (908), politics (885), literature (826), france (798), marx and marxism (768), political science (701), art (641), radicalism (619), :stored in=jazz (618), 18c (617), arendt (571), communism and socialism (566), anthologies (565), classics (533), literary criticism and history (512), fiction (495), political economy (482), art history and criticism (478), social theory (462), race and racism (462), deutsch (462), capitalism (459), greece (452), ethics (442), cities (393), novels (374), religion and theology (358), critical theory (358), aesthetics (348), democracy (331), literary theory (328), biography (305), poetry (303), 17c (296), sociology (292), heidegger (287), african-americans (284), ancient philosophy (279), hegel (276), law (273), andrea (255), cultural studies (246), labor (239), revolution (239), cold war (229), aristotle (224), jews and judaism (223), feminism (221), intellectuals (219), imperialism and colonialism (218), kant (212), science and technology (209), world war ii (204), christianity (204), plato (197), multivolume sets (194), postwar (193), food (191), russia (186), gender (185), universities (185), autobiography and memoir (184), italy (181), exhibition catalogues (172), economics (167), drama (167), historiography (166), liberalism (163), war (161), nietzsche (156), class (155), psychoanalysis (151), habermas (150), psychology (142), cookbooks (142), periodicals (140), international relations (137), reference (137), architecture (136), philosophy of language (132), monographs (131), epistemology (131), education (131), medieval (129), new york city (129), journalism (128), violence (124), rome (122), foucault (121), enlightenment (119), language (116), nationalism (112), metaphysics (109), california (109), state (108), american west (108), chicago (105), french revolution (99), hobbes (99), sexuality (98), freud (97), adorno (96), ancient history (96), poetics (92), culture (89), derrida (89), tragedy (87), women (87), constitution (84), philosophy of science (84), travel (82), rousseau (80), essays (80), benjamin (77), 16c (75), russian revolution (75), holocaust (74), music (74), brecht (73), caribbean (72), american south (72), weber (70), schmitt (70), stories (68), africa (68), philosophy of social science (68), 60s (66), nazism (65), antisemitism (65), jurisprudence (64), postcolonial studies (63), world war i (62), locke (62), anthropology (61), drake hamid (60), jaspers (60), civil rights movement (60), slavery (59), pragmatism (59), slavery and abolition (58), renaissance (56), latin america (55), photography (54), hellenike (54), american revolution & founding (53), wittgenstein (53), film (52), philosophy of mind (52), university of chicago (51), lacan (51), brötzmann peter (51), israel and palestine (49), :scene=chicago (49), austria (49), sartre (49), strauss (48), machiavelli (48), cambridge texts (48), american midwest (47), correspondence (47), mill (js) (46), urban studies (46), sophocles (45), asia (44), crime and punishment (43), middle east (42), netherlands (42), anticommunism (42), français (42), environment (41), queer studies (41), identity (40), catholic church (40), existentialism (39), anarchism (39), methodology (38), phenomenology (38), conservatism (38), spain (38), rawls (38), coltrane (38), totalitarianism (37), weimar (36), dewey (36), lenin (36), tocqueville (35), family (35), spinoza (35), india (35), bay area (34), :label=impulse (33), smith (33), classicism (33), agamben (33), burke (33), cavell (32), :label=blue note (32), china (32), british empire (31), canada (31), restaurants (31), sovereignty (31), marcuse (31), south asia (31), berkeley (31), augustine (31), 1960s (31), eastern europe (31), red scare (30), lukács (30), pamphlets (30), presidents (30), vietnam war (30), rhetoric (29), modernism (29), immigration (29), citizenship (29), mccarthyism (29), deleuze (29), berlin (isaiah) (29), merleau-ponty (29), althusser (29), antiradicalism (28), patchen (28), reformation (28), taylor (28), books (27), welfare (27), lyotard (27), jones elvin (27), kafka (26), badiou (26), shakespeare (26), parker william (26), cooking (26), ireland (26), horkheimer (25), colonial america (25), :label=verve (25), poverty (25), :label=ECM (25), latina (24), husserl (24), aquinas (24), hume (24), mead (24), islam (24), uc berkeley (24), stalin (23), kierkegaard (23), du bois (23), kessler (23), hungary (22), socrates (22), levinas (22), honneth (22), weil (22), gadamer (22), beauvoir (22), aeschylus (22), :label=columbia (22), descartes (22), tyner (21), bley paul (21), recognition (21), american civil war (21), butler (21), broch (21), artist monographs (21), vandermark (21), jazz (20), :label=okkadisc (20), baldwin (20), montesquieu (20), business (20), los angeles (20), nuclear weapons (20), george (20), herder (20), emerson (19), public sphere (19), dubois (19), douglass (19), walgreen (19), garrison (19), fichte (19), fanon (19), 1848 (19), poland (19), 50s (19), cicero (19)
- Taggmoln, Författarmoln, Taggspegel
- Gått med
- Oct 27, 2005
- Riktigt namn
- Patchen Markell
- Om mitt bibliotek
• I'm a professor of political theory at Cornell University. I'm also a compulsive maker of lists. I probably spend more time reading books than pursuing them, but just barely.
• Mostly a working scholarly library, centered on the humanities and humanistic social sciences, especially political theory and political science, philosophy, Marxism and critical social theory, modern (particulary 20th-century) political, social, cultural, and intellectual history, radical politics, classics and ancient history, Judaica, literary theory and criticism, and the history and theory of art and architecture. There's a substantial art book collection in here too, and a decent representation of fiction and poetry. Plus cookbooks, travel guides, and other merit badges of the late modern bourgeoisie.
• What I'm collecting these days: neglected classics of twentieth-century social and political thought in early editions; 20th-century German-language philosophy, political theory, and literary and cultural studies, runs of some leftish political and literary periodicals, periodicals and ephemera of the postwar student left, Arendtiana. And anything else I can't resist.
• Turn-ons: crisp text printed from metal type, decent gutters, sewn bindings, handfeel. Turn-offs: digitally printed books, paperbacks longer than 300 pages or so. Omne tulit punctum qui miscuit utile dulci.
• Nope, I haven't read them all.
• The library was founded in 1987, when Leslie Lipson, then a professor emeritus of Political Science at Berkeley who was teaching my freshman seminar, handed me a couple of spare desk copies of good books that he had lying around his office and said: "I assume you'll be starting a library?"
• With the advent of LibraryThing Local, much of my list of "sources" has moved to "favorite bookstores." But that's mostly limited to bookstores that still exist. So here's a memorial to some favorite places now defunct, many of which were gone before LT Local came to be....
In memoriam: Acorn Books (San Francisco), Arlington Books (Arlington, MA), Avenue Victor Hugo (Boston), Berkeley Book Consortium (Berkeley), the original Black Oak Books (Berkeley), the rebooted Black Oak Books (Berkeley), The Bookcase (Cambridge, MA), The Bookcellar (Cambridge, MA), The Bookery (Ithaca, NY), Canterbury Books (Cambridge, MA), Cartesian Books (Berkeley), Cody's Books (Telegraph Avenue, Fourth Street, and Shattuck Avenue, Berkeley, and Union Square in San Francisco, the last of which was a crappy idea to begin with), Columbus Books (San Francisco), Ex Libris (Chicago), Holmes Books (Oakland), House of Sarah Books (Cambridge, MA), O'Gara and Wilson on 57th Street (Chicago, now in Indiana in some form), Pangloss, in its various forms (Cambridge and Boston, MA), Prairie Avenue Books (Chicago), Rain Dog Books (Chicago, now in the suburbs), the old Seminary Coop space (Chicago), Serendipity Books (Berkeley), Starr Book Shop (Cambridge, MA, now online-only?), and even, though I never really loved it, Wordsworth (Cambridge, MA).
• To celebrate LT's 18th birthday and my own 18th Thingaversary -- hey, I've been on this site since it was in diapers! -- I've decided to start the cataloging vinyl and CDs too, oy. Some favorite sources (other than Bandcamp and direct orders from small independent labels): Rasputin (in the old days), Leopold, Tower, and (eventually and ever after) Amoeba (Berkeley); Down Home and Mod Lang (El Cerrito); Newbury Comics (Cambridge); Forced Exposure (Malden, or Somerville, or Arlington, or wherever it is now); Other Music and the Downtown Music Gallery (NYC); Reckless, Hi-Fi, Gramophone, Dusty Groove, and, above all, the life-changing Jazz Record Mart (Chicago); and now Angry Mom (Ithaca) and Revolver (Buffalo). And although I'm not sure I ever bought anything there myself, given that I moved out of the neighborhood at age 8, I'm pretty sure my very first record store experience was Record Revolution (Coventry Village, Cleveland Heights), which I appear to have outlived.
• What? I warned you about the lists.
- Om mig
Moved halfway across the country with this library and am. never. moving. again.
- Ithaca, NY, USA
- Läser just nu
- Lokala favoriter
Boklådor: 57th Street Books, 871 Fine Arts, After Word Books, Argosy Books, Atlantic Bookshop, Atticus Books, Autumn Leaves Used Books, Avenue Victor Hugo Books, Bell's Books, Bibliomania, Black Oak Books - Berkeley, Black Swan Books, Blackwell's Oxford, Bolerium Books, Book Culture, Booklegger's Used Books, Bookman's Alley, Bookworks, Brattle Book Shop, Bryn Mawr Bookstore, Buffalo Street Books, Builder's Booksource, Caliban Bookshop, Cartesian Bookstore, Chicago Rare Book Center, Commonwealth Books, Dan Wyman Books, Inc, East Village Books & Records, Green Apple Books, Grolier Poetry Bookshop, Hackenberg Booksellers, Harvard Book Store, Harvard University Press Display Room, Henry Pordes Books, Jeff Maser, Bookseller, Koenig Books, Labyrinth Books, Labyrinth Books New Haven, Lame Duck Books, Left Bank Books, Lucy Parsons Center, McIntyre and Moore Booksellers, McNally Jackson - Nolita, Midtown Scholar Bookstore, Moe's Books, Museum Shop of the Art Institute of Chicago, Myopic Books, National Gallery Sainsbury Wing shop, O'Gara and Wilson, Booksellers, Open Books, Pegasus Books, Pegasus Downtown, Pendragon Books, Powell's - Burnham Park, Powell's - Hyde Park, Powell's - Lakeview, Powell's City of Books (Portland), Prairie Avenue Bookshop, Printers Row Fine & Rare Books, Quinto & Francis Edwards Booksellers, Ravenswood Used Books, Sandmeyer's Bookstore, Selected Works Used Books and Sheet Music, Seminary Co-op Bookstore, Serendipity Books, Shakespeare & Co. Books, Skoob Books, Strand Bookstore, The Gallery Bookstore, Three Lives & Company, Turtle Island Book Shop, Twelfth Street Books, Unabridged Bookstore, University Press Books, Wessel & Lieberman Booksellers, William Stout Architectural Books
Bibliotek: Art Institute of Chicago - Ryerson and Burnham Libraries, Berkeley Public Library - Central Library, Boston Public Library, British Library, Cornell University - Library Annex, Cornell University - Olin Library, Cornell University - Uris Library, Doe Library - University of California, Berkeley, Harry Elkins Widener Memorial Library - Harvard College Library, Hoover Institution Library - Stanford University, Howison Philosophy Library - University of California, Berkeley, Institute for Advanced Study - Historical Studies and Social Science Library, National Archives and Records Administration at College Park, New York Public Library - Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, New York University - The Elmer Holmes Bobst Library, Princeton University - Firestone Library, Research Library at the Getty Research Institute, Robert W. Woodruff Library (Emory University), Stevenson Library, Bard College, University of Chicago - Joseph Regenstein Library, University of Chicago - William Rainey Harper Library, Vanderbilt University (Jean & Alexander Heard Library)
- aaronsg, Ari-ElmeriH, atdilts, BookCulture, CassandraRichmond, cgrimm, chrisbrooke, chrisbuck, dgm2000, enacol, ggmiller, henrybond, JaneFlegal, JDGreenwood, jtlevy, kaitable, KropotkinsLeftFoot, Lenazuckerwise, Maril, mishaele, rcford, readergirl92, shaunkenan, starcitywoman, tralfam, vmuniz, vsmith
- Intressant bibliotek